Tuesday, 9 June 2015

Making a Backpack for Flights.

Living as an expat means that aeroplane flights are a big part of your life and I think I may have taken more plane flights than buses in my life so far! You get pretty savvy about what you want to take on a flight with you to make the journey comfortable. There is an art to having too much clutter and also not enough of the essentials. As I am on a flight at the end of the week and I do not want to take my wheelie bag with me it meant I needed a backpack that would hold the items I required without the weight that some bags have before you even put an item in! I searched the shops but did not find the backpack to suit my needs, so off to the design room it was.

I purchased some upholstery fabric to work with.

I then went about designing a bag to fit my requirements

The bag was fused with a stiffening

Pockets were made for the 2nd compartment

An interior zip pocket for keys and valuables

A pocket for my passport

A compartment for a laptop and magazines

The compartment zips closed with a handle to carry the backpack

The flapped compartment is domed closed

The domes open to allow items to go into the bag

The flap folds over and clips closed

Straps for the pack to sit over the shoulders and onto your back

Feet on the base of the bag

 Now I am all set to travel.

Have a great week

HEATHER


Follow on Bloglovin

9 comments:

  1. Wow! That's a great bag. Isn't nice to be able to make a bag that meets all your requirements?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am truly impressed. Looks sharp and better made than any commercial bag out there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am truly impressed. Looks sharp and better made than any commercial bag out there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great bag - should.... Have time to make it before getting on the plane to S'pore in Nov.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job, very professionally done! Looks designer made.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicely done Heather. I'm always looking for a good traveling bag also. I drew up plans for a backpack that sadly won't become reality for this summer's adventures. I really like the addition of feet and the side snaps on your bag!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like the perfect bag and you made it! Heather, the sewing box arrived...thank YOU and it's perfect for me! It's a topic on my latest blog post with links for most everything I could find on your blog . Thank you so very much; it'll be used in happiness and, hopefully, good health! Happy Grow Your Blog Party 2015.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is my first view of your blog. Found you via your comment to Wendy. Looking at several of your posts, I am so impressed by your professionalism in all you do. The bag is so well thought out and constructed, it certainly looks practical. Your box is truly lovely with the batik and the flower embroidery, and the garments are beautiful and suited to your lifestyle. I will follow you on email in future.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your work. The bag is an inspiration-thank you! I found your blog while searching for fellow quilters in Singapore as we will be living there starting in a couple months. (Adore your boxes too!!)

    ReplyDelete