Thursday, 4 September 2014

The Singapore Pioneer Quilters- Bernina Craft Centre

 For many years Singapore has enjoyed a very strong quilting industry. I would like to introduce you to some of these people. Today we have the pleasure of talking to Rosie from Bernina Craft Centre in Grandlink Square.


Bernina Craft Centre is located in Grandlink Square on the 3rd floor. 511 Guillemard Rd, Singapore 399849


Who introduced you to the sewing crafting world and at what age?

My mother was a dressmaker therefore I grew up with sewing in the home. While I was in school my teacher taught me to do patchwork.


Did you train or study sewing and design?

When I left school I worked in Electronics and after work I would attend dressmaking and sewing classes. I left the electronics industry and went to Japan where I attended a dressmaking course.


 When did you start a business?


In the late 70’s I was assisting a friend with teaching dressmaking classes. During this time I came in contact with Jerry who was working in his father’s business selling Swiss products and part of that business was Bernina.



How long have you worked in retail?

Over 30 years. In 1981 Jerry asked me to join his father’s company selling Bernina machines.  In 1984 the company was known as Motivac Marketing Services and we were based at the President Merlin Hotel. I attended patchwork classes given by Monique who had opened a shop called Quilts n Sew Forth. I was able to introduce Monique to the Bernina Sewing Machine. In August 1984 we opened a quilting shop and called it Dreams in Quilts in the Tanjong Katong Complex. In 2001 we moved to Grandlink Square where we are currently located. Bernina has now allowed us to name the shop Bernina Craft Centre.



What services does your business offer?

We are the agents for Bernina sewing machines therefore we sell and service Bernina machines. We sell Bernina machines to the Singapore Secondary Schools. I take classes at the National Institute of Education where we train the students that are studying to teach Home Economics. We also run sewing classes in the shop.



 What challenges do you find running a quilting shop?


The challenge is to keep learning and to keep up with product information, sourcing patterns and correct products.



What do you enjoy about your quilting business?

I enjoy meeting people and doing something I love along with learning new things.

Thanks Rosie it was a real pleasure talking with you.

Bernina Craft Centre
511 Guillemard Rd
#03-07 Grandlink Square
Singapore 399849
Phone 67438177

Drop back next Thursday to read about other Pioneer Quilters in Singapore.


HEATHER

Follow on Bloglovin

4 comments:

  1. What an interesting tour Heather. That shop looks very tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice write up and good to get to know Rosie a bit better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to her shop several times to buy fabric. And love everything there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Heather, great blog, we're on a long cruise, in Singapore March 14-15, yesterday my wife's little sewing machine she brought on the cruise went kaput, desperately need a recommendation from someone like you on where in Singapore she can buy a new small machine she can use on the ship. Ship has both 120 V / 60 cycle and 220 V / 50 cycle outlets so no issues there. She is a long time quilter. Thanks so much, Joan's husband.

    ReplyDelete