Thursday, 18 September 2014

The Quilting Pioneers of Singapore - Quilts and Friends

Re located on 17th August 2015
Quilts and Friends
 is now located at 
1 Coleman St
#03-09 The Adelphi
Singapore 179803
Ph. 63361566


The shop is called Quilts and Friends. Brigitte was born in Germany, with parents from France and Switzerland. In 1995 she relocated with her family to Singapore.


Quilts and Friends is located at 1 Coleman St, #03-09 The Adelphi, Singapore 179803.


Who Introduced you to the sewing, crafting world and at what age?

While I was at school in Switzerland I did crafts at the age of 8. My mother did sewing and knitting at home as she had 4 children to clothe. I can remember doing patchwork for my nephews and nieces, and my first quilting class was with a teacher called Hanni Schmidt.


Did you train or study sewing, or design?

I trained in Mechanics as a Draughts-women. When I came to Singapore I joined quilting classes at the shop called Quilts n Sew Forth.


When did you start a business?

When I arrived in Singapore I joined a quilting group and I was able to get employment in the quilting shop called Quilts n Sew Forth. I purchased the business in 2000 from Monique.
  

How long have you worked in retail?

In 1999 I started teaching and working in Quilts n Sew Forth in Tanglin Shopping Centre. In November 2005 I moved the shop to Aliwal Street. In 2008 I closed Quilts n Sew Forth  and opened Quilts and Friends at Tan Boon Liat building.


What services does your business offer?

I make custom made quilts especially T-Shirt quilts where we make the clients personal T-Shirts into a quilt. I also take children's art and photo transfer it onto fabric to incorporate it into a personal quilt. I teach quilting classes. We offer a hand quilting and a longarm machine quilting service. We also sell Bernina and Brother sewing machines.


What challenges do you find running a Quilt shop?

I like challenges as I like to solve problems so I would not call it a challenge. For me a better word would be 'frustrations', which would be the frustration of people wanting everything fast and cheap.


What do you enjoy about your Quilting business?

I like meeting people and especially teaching a beginners class in Quilting. I really like watching the students learn a skill and then using it to grow and develop in the quilting world.


Thanks Brigitte it was a real pleasure talking with you


Quilts and Friends
1 Coleman St
#03-09 The Adelphi
Singapore 179803
Ph. 63361566



HEATHER

Follow on Bloglovin

3 comments:

  1. How nice to read about Brigitte's shop and see all the pictures after all these years since I left Singapore!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another nice article about "our" quilting pioneers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is quite sad to read this because Brigitte did purchase the shop Quilts 'N Sew Forth from my mother Monique Noonan (who now runs Quilts & Sew Forth in the USA) however...she made a few payments and then stopped. She claimed she had no money but we soon found out she opened a new business. Using all of our inventory and fixed assets. It makes it really hard to see articles published about her thriving successes when it was earned on the back of someone else. Shameful.

    ReplyDelete