Friday, 27 December 2013

The Wedding Quilt - To Tie the Knot



Over this year I have been working on a quilt to give my son and his wife. They got married at the beginning of the year and time was against me to have a quilt ready for their wedding day.
I liked the theme 'To Tie the Knot' so I went about researching how I could incorporate this into a quilt. 
I drew out a knot and then worked with it to create a quilt design. The colours I used came from colours that they like, and some they had incorporated into their wedding.




  I used  the applique' method and satin stitched the knots to the background fabric 


 Once the quilt top was finished I needed to sandwich the layers together for quilting and this is a King size quilt!


  I decided to use my design wall and extended it to take the quilt. First I hung the backing which sticks well to the cotton batting on the original wall


Then using a ladder I started from the middle and added the cotton batting.


And then the quilt top was added. From here I rolled the quilt off the wall and worked on a table to safety pin it together


  Now it is onto the machine for the machine quilting. I used the walking foot for the echo quilting in the centre of the quilt and decided to stand at my table to machine, as it gave me more strength for lifting the quilt.




I did free motion quilting around the border of the quilt


 The finished quilt


 All packed up and ready to give away.

Thanks for the visit


Follow on Bloglovin

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I am always amazed at people who quilt big quilts on a home sewing machine. Well done and I do like the quilt.
    Did you get any puckers on the back of the quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a stunning quilt. Congratulations on a beautifully executed design!

    ReplyDelete